Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Just because you don't talk about it...

...doesn't mean it will go away.

I've been attempting to stay away from the media regarding the George Zimmerman trial but its been virtually impossible. I got caught up reading a blog post (and its 547 comments) and was reminded of an incident I experienced in sociology class last semester.

We can all agree that whether or not you believe race played a part, Trayvon's death is nonetheless a horrible tragedy. But I've noticed that when the topic of white privilege is raised, some of my white counterparts seek to dismiss the notion right away. For example, during our discussion on racism an African-American student described multiple experiences of her husband and sons being pulled over for "random checks" while driving through upper-class white neighborhoods. A white student, who I might add is a caring, God fearing woman whom I've had the pleasure of getting to know responded, "Well when I was an officer I was accused of pulling over a driver because she was black and I explained to her,'No I pulled you over because you were going so fast my laser alarm woke me up'". We all chuckled at her sarcasm but I wondered if that response was apropos.

Since getting to know the white student I'm pretty sure her main objective in responding that way was born out of her slight class clown personality, but it's an all too common response from those in the position of privilege. Especially those who ARE NOT blatant racist. It makes them feel uncomfortable so they'd prefer to believe that society has gotten past racism, that they have not been sub-consciously taught to profile and stereotype individuals and that they are not the recipients of white privilege because that means someone else is at the opposite end of the spectrum being deprived. But truth, is truth.

So to all my white brothers and sisters, the next time someone relays an experience of racism please fight the urge to change the subject because it's painful. Racism hurts US ALL and yes we have come a long way but we still have a long ways to go. Instead respond with sympathy (as we've all been a victim of one -ism or another) and maybe determine how you can become an ally for the disadvantaged.

Timeless Food for Thought,

~ Roe

P.S. here a link to the blog that inspired this post: Dear Trayvon's Mom

3 comments:

  1. You hit the nail right on the head. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was hesitant to write it but it is what it is. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

      Delete